Monday, November 24, 2008

Stream of Consciousness Dump

I haven't ranted about work in a while, but today I will.

Today, we were asked to ask our friends and family for donations....to fund our operating budget. We were given fundraising kits, heck we were even given a little chart to fill in people's names and signatures.

Sigh.

In today's world of bailouts, finger pointing and massive layoffs, I am thankful to have a job. I like the fact that I am ultimately working for a better cause, so much that I am willing to receive a pay that is 40% less from the industry standard, and no bonuses or pay raises for the past two years. Many of my colleagues are in the same situation.

There has been some good times and bad times, but this one takes the cake. I'm too tired for irony or pessimism these days, so I'll take the easy route and call it a classic case of good intentions gone wrong.

There are many ways of approaching a challenge, or at least, sweetening the deal. Make it a raffle or an auction. Ask one of the executives to donate a little something from their extensive coffers. Cancel the office party. Replace the electricity-hungry coffee machine.

But for heaven's sake, don't make us ask our friends and family for money, during a time when loved ones gather to give thanks during this difficult time.


2 comments:

ShadowLight said...

No offence - but it sounds like those school jogathon donations.

ioney said...

It is! OMG it totally is. Sigh
Lemme know when you're free during Dec 28 to Jan 6 to meet up!